Reading Tips For Parents & Educators
Find expert reading strategies and useful tips to help introduce children to the wonderful world of reading on their own with I Can Read!
Paddington is available in I Can Read! for the very first time. Did you read the Paddington books growing up? Chances are you, you did! Maybe you watched the television show or had a Paddington stuffed bear as well. That’s because Paddington Bear has been around for over 50 years and is a classic children’s book character.
Below are 6 things to know about Paddington Bear!
1) Paddington received his English name after the subway station in London, Paddington Station. His real name is Peruvian, but readers don’t find it out until much later: Pastuso.
2) Author Michael Bond was working as a cameraman for the BBC when he first wrote the Paddington stories.
3) Where did Paddington’s signature jacket and hat come from? His blue jacket was a gift from the Browns, and his red hat was given to him by his uncle, who is still in Peru with Aunt Lucy.
4) Paddington has two birthdays – just like the Queen of England! Paddington celebrates his birthdays on June 25th and December 25th.
5) The real Paddington Station in London has a small bear-sized statue of Paddington, attracting visitors and fans to this day.
6) The Paddington books have sold over 35 million copies worldwide and have been translated into more than 40 languages.